ICM Week 4

This week I wanted to focus on creating a simple algorithmic design that iterates, and changes over time. I was really inspired by the 10print example. Instead of using diagonal lines I wanted to incorporate more colors, so I used triangles with fill. I loved watching the program move in rows and grow. I also wanted it to keep changing once it hits the bottom. I began experimenting with different colors and transparencies. Below are some examples of the iterations I went through and the final code.


ICM Week 3

For this week’s project Neta and I attempted to make a breathing exercise. We start on the home screen, where we see a prompt that asks how you are feeling. There are two black circles to choose from. When you hover over either circle another prompt appears. “Are you anxious?” or “Feeling good?” If you choose feeling good, it takes you to our exit function. If you choose, anxious it take you to the breathing exercise. This is what the graphics look like.

We originally wanted the circle to inflate while the cursor is hovering, and then stop itself after four seconds. This is where we ran into some issues. We couldn’t get the circle to stop without ending the If conditional. When we did set it to start deflating, it would get caught in a feedback loop at its maximum size. I think by controlling the circle with different variables it could’ve helped us achieve what we wanted. I think a “for loop” could’ve helped too but it is not something we have figured out yet. We did get a slider on the exercise page to turn the background from yellow to pure white.

We then added a smiley face instead of the cursor on the exit function for aesthetics.

Below is the code for the home screen.

We also built on the game state changing in my last project to change when options are clicked.

Here is a link to the final project.


ICM Week 2

I’m very interested in making games so I decided to focus my project on calls to action and level building. I used simple commands like dragging your cursor over an object, to get the user to trigger an action. I then wanted the game to call a new function to do something else. I made levels for this.

Here I built in the four stages of the project.

These are all the variables I defined
Here you can see I collected the amount of time the user has been clicking, then triggering the next level.


ICM Blog #1

I am interested in all types of interaction design. And while I come from mainly a filmmaking background, I have had some experience in making VR, coding in C# for Unity and basic Arduino commands. I imagine myself building upon my knowledge and opening the doors for a lot of projects. This could include the making of devices that work with the internet of things, interactive art using Arduino and motors, and the opportunity to create my own tools for art.

For this week in Intro to Comp Media, I started working with basic shapes and colors in the P5.JS web editor. Once I got the hang of things I started thinking of Picasso as an inspiration, to make a simple abstract portrait. I began drawing on graph paper because I wanted to be able to think about which coordinates to use first when I started sketching.

These are some of the images I used for inspiration.

I began coding and filled in the specific shapes. For some of them, I defined integers in order to keep variables in relation to each other. This can be seen in my second screenshot where I refer to the coordinates in relation to smokex and smokey.

Also I had an RGB color picker on another tab so I was able to find the colors I needed with exact values. I tried to keep things minimal and abstract for the aesthetic. I also added smaller randomized ellipses inside of the smoke to resemble embers.

This is the code for how I made the facial outline.
This is the code for how I made the smoke.

Below is my final piece.

There is a link at the bottom to open it in the web editor, and see all the code there.